Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Marla Rabe Grose of KETV-Omaha Visits O’Neill High School



Marla Rabe Grose, a 2000 O’Neill High School graduate, spoke to the Digital Media classes of Mr. Peterson and Mrs. Morrow on March 23rd, 2009 about her experiences in working in the television news industry. Marla currently works for KETV in Omaha as a news reporter and anchor. She has worked for Huskervision at UNL, The Colorado Rockies, KCAU-TV in Sioux City and her present job at KETV. Marla captivated her audience as she spoke about how she takes a story from start to finish and how stressful and yet rewarding her career can be. After speaking to the classes, she was kind enough to be interviewed by Digital Media students who have made her the subject of their next project. When asked why she would take time on her day off to speak to students, Marla replied, “I have been very lucky and I feel like I need to give back.”

The complete video of her presentation can be found here:

http://ops.esu8.org/~michaelpeterson/Mr._Petersons_Home/Marla_Rabe_Visit.html


Mike Peterson
Business-Technology Teacher
O'Neill High School
mpetersn@esu8.org
www.coachpeterson.net

Here is her bio from the KETV website:
Working in journalism has always been my dream job!
Now, with the opportunity to work in Omaha near friends and family, I couldn't be happier.
I'm a Nebraska native who grew up in O'Neill. We like to pride ourselves on being the "Irish Capital of Nebraska." I graduated from O'Neill High School then made my way to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where I graduated with a degree in journalism.
My career started in Sioux City, Iowa, at KCAU-TV. I spent my time there as a reporter and morning anchor. After spending a few years in that market, I learned more about all of the small towns and summer festivals in northwest Iowa than I ever thought I would know. I had so much fun covering those festivals, and got to eat great "fair food!" Iowa also gave me great reporting opportunities, in a political hotspot, there is always a lot going on.
In my spare time I'm likely trying to decorate our new home, or spending time with friends and family. I have a new baby niece, and am the proudest aunt you'll ever find!

After her visit, Marla e-mailed us the following:

Subject: Thank you

Thanks so much for allowing me into your classroom today! I really enjoyed the opportunity to talk to the kids and hopefully teach them a little bit about what we do everyday!
I really had a great time and as I said, if there is ever anything I can do don't hesitate to ask! I talked with my news director and she had no problem with posting everything to your site, so go right ahead.

Thanks again, and it was great to see you.

Marla

Interview/Feature Story on Marla produced by Hayley Herzog and McKenna Moyes:

No comments: